Saturday, August 02, 2008

 

Graduation. Saying goodbye Cambodia. Cambodia Update #7

Friday was our World Relief ESL Graduation ceremony. It was really sad. As we had the students fill out the "evaluations" on their last day of class (for some of the beginners that was a lesson in and of itself!) they all said they wanted ESL all year round. Hey. Maybe I am game for that :)

So it is now over. I really don't think two weeks is long enough, but it also felt like I lived a lifetime in those two weeks. I have seen and experienced so much. I have made some new friends. I have many places to stay if I ever find myself in Cambodia. Who knows? Maybe. I do know this is a GREAT program. The students really appreciated that we were there. Their progress was amazing. Many of them have families, work, volunteer with their churches/World Relief AND took either their lunch times or came in early morning to learn English. Such dedication. Such integrity. Such passion to learn. I now must process all of this...

On our last day we went to visit the Killing Fields outside of Phnom Penh (I can finally spell that without looking it up!)... A huge building full of skulls. Sad stories. Mass graves. Again, as it is rare, I was speechless. Truly.

I am really thankful that I get time to travel with friends (Krista & Kristen) in Thailand so we can have some time to debrief.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]