Wednesday, July 23, 2008

 

Cambodia Trip: Update #3

5 Degrees of Separation

Temperature degrees, that is! What a difference the rain makes! So... if you have read my previous blogs... did you sense a bit of irritation coming from me? Well, I won't go back and change my first two entries... despite their slightly edging-on-bitter tone... andI won't lie... the first few nights & days here were DIFFICULT. Where we stay (offices of World Relief in Suong) there is no air conditioning of any kind... and so at night and during the day our room is about 89 degrees with 80% humidity (how do I know the temperature exactly? - I borrowed my Dad's travel alarm which has temperature readings on it... thanks by the way, Dad, because it has not failed to wake us up at 5am any morning! - still not sure if that is a good thing or not :). Yes... it is 90-humid-degrees day AND night!!! It has been nearly unbearable... sleep has been tough... sweating all the time is tough... which makes everything sort of difficult... which makes my brain turn to mush... and my coping skills fail... you get the idea, right? But all that changed after the rain yesterday... last night the temperature in our room was 84 degrees... it was AMAZING the difference that made! It almost felt cool, by comparison. I finally got a good night sleep... I finally took a cold shower without sweating... I finally have some sanity returned! So... that is the latest.

Update: PRAY!!
But with the good (weather drop) comes the bad (mosquitos come out in FORCE)... and despite being drenched in DEET I have TWO mosquito bites so far... Mosquitos just love me... so I sort of thought this might happen... and I won't say I didn't panic a bit at first, but chances are nothing will come of them (many foreigners who live here year round use no Deet at all and are fine...) BUT there is a chance I could get Dengue fever (google it and see how much fun that would be)... so I would appreciate PRAYER. HEALING PRAYER. I really don't want to spend two weeks here not feeling well. I want to be able to visit the places I have planned on my trip and finish teaching the students next week. So PRAY!

Tomorrow our whole team gets back together (yey!)... and we go visit one of the 10 man-made wonders of the world (Angkor Wat) in Siem Reap. I will update you after that!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]