Monday, July 21, 2008

 

Cambodia Trip Update #2

Now that we have had almost 2 days in our Suong location. Life is settling into a little more of a schedule, I am finding I am coping a bit better. The nights are still unbearably hot... and I take like 3 showers a day, but my students are AMAZING. I have one student who left school during the Khmer Rouge's reign because he and his friends had heard that the soldier's were coming to force young boys into the military. So he fled and never finished any secondary schooling. We have another student who is probably older than I am, but who never in her life has gone to school. We have heard the stories of how teachers are not paid in this country very well, so they are expected to charge their students (extort, is really more the reality) and generally are still not very good teachers, despite what you can pay. So the poor LITERALLY can't afford an education. Also the very poor need their children, often to work the fields. The government seems largey unconcerned with the plight of the poor in their own country. I have one student who is a very proficient English learner... he has hopes one day of changing this system. That he is such high hopes in the face of what seems like a system in chaos and despair just BLOWS ME AWAY. Each day we spend in the worship & prayer time with the Cambodian staff at our sight... I can't understand what they say... but I would never doubt the utter sincerity of their prayers and the furverence of their worship. They trust in GOD to do MIRACLES. Kind of challenging to my western, Christian mind, I would say!


My lesson for today: When a Cambodian looks at you like you are doing something CRAZY, chances are you probably ARE.

We decided to explore Suong and walk to a "western" market. Everyone offered us rides... they kept saying, "Teacher, ride with me" ... but we (Amber and I) wanted to walk... you see in California walking is a VIRTUE... it saves gas... it is good exercise, etc. However, in this weather and this area it is NOT at all smart. By the time we got there not only were we covered in a layer of dust from the road... but we were so sweaty we were soaking our clothes. All for a Coke. Not really worth it, I realized. So... that is my lesson for you all and myself today.




Side note: we have the most AMAZING cook at our sight. She seriously makes us these gourmet meals... with a cooler (yep, no refridgerator) and a gas burner (yep, no stove... it is like a camping stove)... and this TINY room... she prepares these AMAZING meals... and presents them like we are royalty. I truly feel loved and valued by her. I wish she knew more English... or I knew more Khmy... and we could tell her how much we appreciate her. She will get many jewels in her crown in heaven... and we can have long conversations there when we meet again!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]