Friday, August 08, 2008

 

I go where Laura Bush goes: of course! Travel Update #9


Krista, Kristen and I crossing over the "Friendship Bridge" on the border between Thailand and Burma (Myanmar) to get our passports stamped. It rained. It was quite an adventure! That is the Burmese border in the background.
Friday, August 8, 2008.

We spent the day in the town of Mae Sot. Yes, Laura Bush was here yesterday visiting the refugee camps and a clinic. What can I say? She follows me around... kidding :)

Actually... we are here visiting our friend Rachel who works with Compasio... and helps out with the children who are the remnants of the refugee situation which spills into this town. The Burmese leave the often hostile conditions in their home country... and come to a sort-of safe haven in this Thai town. Often, however, children left abondoned and on the streets. Rachel takes some of them in... and has a safe house of 7 children... we met several today at their school... where we taught them the hokey pokey, and other children's songs. They were adorable and stole our hearts away! We also went across to get our passport stamped on the Burma border. Cool. Another stamp on my passport. Love it. So fun! We have hung out with this church group that is here. Now we are watching (yes, LIVE) the opening ceremonies of the Olympics from our hotel room... the commentary is in Chinese... so we are not always sure what is going on, but it is beautiful all the same and we all keep saying "how are they doing THAT?" Tomorrow we get to hang out and baby sit the 7 kids at the safe house... I can't wait! And then I take the night train back to Bangkok. Don't worry... I won't be alone... I am hitching a ride on the same bus as that church group we met here. Then I spend the night in Bangkok. Then I go home. I can't believe my time here is almost over. Crazy. Cool.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]