Saturday, August 09, 2008

 

Bangkok - Round #2: Travel Update #11

I arrived in Bangkok this Sunday morning at 6:30 am on the night bus from Mae Sot to Bangkok. Rough night, as you can imagine. But since we left all of the art supplies for the kids in Mae Sot that we had been hauling around... my load is much lighter. And I was ready to take Bangkok on again, determined to be the VICTOR! I arrived at the bus station. I needed to take a taxi to get to my hotel by myself. As I navigated my way through the crowds of "taxi" drivers... who all come up to you and ask where you are going... then quote a price... to my hotel I got quoted "ooh, that is far, how abou 350Baht (roughtly 10 dollars)"... "nope" I would say... you see... this is what I was talking about in my other Bangkok blog. These guys are SCAMMERS. Taxis are supposed to put on their "Meters"... and not charge you up front. And generally if they quote you a low price, it is because they want to take you to "their" hotel (where they get comission) or a shopping area (where they will try and scam you with fake gems or something). I successfully found the meter taxis... and you know what it actually costs to take a taxi to my hotel? 80 baht (A little over $2). I tipped the guy, of course. I think honesty should always be rewarded. When I arrived at my hotel (a 5-star that I got a HUGE deal on through priceline - thanks to Jeff & Jenny's suggestion of their priceline/Bangkok experience) I arrived tired and bedragged at my hotel. I was hoping that I could store my stuff for the 6 hours or so before I could actually check in. When I asked if I could check my stuff... the guy said "no, we don't store luggage"... quickly images of me walking around Bangkok with my luggage permiated my mind. But then he added "we don't want you wandering around... we will find you a room that is ready at no extra charge"... so at 7am I was napping in my air-conditioned 27 story view hotel room. Now I am at the mall with my Bangkok Starbuck's city mug in hand at a local internet cafe before my movie starts at the Siam Paragon movie complex. So... Bangkok - 1. Erin - 1. I think we are tied. But I won this round. Tomorrow coffee with Krista and Kristen before they are off to Phuket and before I catch my flight home. Can't wait to see you all when I get back. Thanks for reading my blog and sending me emails. I have appreciated knowing that so many of you care about what I am doing and are following me on this adventure. I hope to post pictures in the next week. So keep checking back! Peace out.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]