Wednesday, August 06, 2008

 

All wat'd out! Travel Update #8

Yep. We took Chiang Mai by storm today. It really is a nice little city. Lots to see, but also a bit leasurely of a pace. We saw several of the wats (Buddist Temples) and even took a rather interestingly windy trip up to one on the top of the mountain (amazing views!). But I am pretty wat'd out. I have seen lots of images of Buddha's on this trip. Today I saw many people praying to them. Giving them food or flowers... or lighting candles. We saw many monks around. My Christian sensibilities don't always know what to make of this religous devotion to idols. It seems kind of futile. A gold idol cannot eat the fruit you give it, can it? But then I wonder what MY idols are? What do I revere and feed? What do I count as sacred that maybe does not deserve such reverence? Just the thoughts going through my head today. Tomorrow it will be on to playing games & doing arts and crafts with some cool kids at Mae Sot with our friend Rachel. I can't wait. But the 6 hour bus ride seems long... all the way there. Tomorrow bus ride. The next few days with the kids. I may not have access to a computer after that. So I will chat with ya'll later.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]